Top Chief Investment Officers
There are over 10,000 Chief Investment Officers and C-Level Investment Executives in the United States. Only the very best are awarded the distinction of being a part of AdvisoryCloud’s “Top Chief Investment Officer Rankings” for 2012. The number one area of focus for Top CIOs in 2012 has been their role in developing company wide investment strategies that improved ROE while successfully managing risk. AdvisoryCloud also weighed heavily the recommendations provided by external analysts and CFOs. In addition, we saw a significant uptick in the number of CIOs that served on boards of directors and displayed a skill set that is applicable to multiple industries. The CIOs that made this list represent the best of the best in their field.
Chief Investment Officers and Investment Executives were ranked according to our patent-pending proprietary CIO Ranking Algorithm that calculates points for 24 key categories, in addition to the insights and feedback from evaluation committees featuring some of the world’s most renowned business leaders. Like all of our position specific ranking algorithms, the CIO Ranking Algorithm serves as an objective standard for executive performance and is designed to produce results that act as leading indicators for future executive and team performance. Feedback from past award winners includes:
Brian Pellegrino, CIO, UPS – “It is truly an honor to be identified by AdvisoryCloud as a leader in the industry. It speaks volumes of the outstanding work done by the investments team at UPS and I find myself extremely fortunate to be associated with such a talented and dedicated group of individuals.”
Brent P.W. Burgess, Managing Director & Chief Investment Officer, Triangle Capital Corporation – “It’s a great honor to be recognized as one of the top CIOs in the country. In my case, it’s very much of a team effort responsible for our company’s results, so I’m extremely grateful for the talented and dedicated people that I get to work with every day.”
Jeff Lorenzen, SVP and CIO, American Equity Investment Holding Company – “It’s a privilege to be recognized by AdvisoryCloud’s as one of its leading CIO’s. This distinction is a direct reflection of the outstanding team of professionals at American Equity and their desire to be a high performance organization.”
AdvisoryCloud produces c-suite executive rankings based on statistical and algorithmic analysis of executive performance across 24 key areas.
Our proprietary methods for evaluating and ranking executives play a key role in the operation of AdvisoryCloud’s global marketplace that connects companies with advisors across 124 industries and 50+ professions. We use our data sets and understanding of executive talent from the rankings to guide our matchmaking process between companies and advisors, ensuring that companies find the advisor best suited for their current challenges and opportunities.
A sample of the 24 categories that we measure:
- Experience in the role
- Business results during tenure
- Board Member Appointments
- Significant professional achievements
- Published thought leadership (books, speeches, articles, media mentions)
- Technology adoption
- Industry/professional reputation
- Peer recommendations and nominations
Top CIOs of 2013
I very much appreciate AdvisoryCloud’s recognition of our work at Thomson Reuters to strengthen the underpinnings of our marketing activities with data-driven intelligence. I am privileged to work with an exceptional executive team and a marketing organization focused on driving our business to continued success across the globe.Tobias Lee, CMO, Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting
I am grateful for the recognition by AdvisoryCloud but realize that it is actually an acknowledgement of the stellar work done by the finance staff at AutoNation, the tremendous leadership provided by Mike Jackson, and the dedication of the thousands of AutoNation associates who deliver world-class customer experiences everyday at our stores.Michael Short, CFO, AutoNation
1. James Zelter, Apollo Global Management, LLC
2. Daniel Cook, Mercantile Bancorp, Inc.
3. Kathleen Gallagher, Ford Motor Company
4. Chris Li, Lockheed Martin Corporation
5. Nathan Partain, Virtus Investment Partners
6. David Dale-Johnson, Fog Cutter Capital Group Inc.
7. Raymond Kanner, International Business Machines Corporation
8. Lisa Haag, The Boeing Company
9. Andrew Ward, The Boeing Company
10. Mark Kajita, Baker Boyer Bancorp
11. Rick Rieder, Blackrock Inc
12. Jeffrey Lorenzen, American Equity Investment Life Holding Company
13. Marcum Eli Khouri, Kilroy Realty Corporation
14. Shane Garrison, Retail Properties of America, Inc.
15. Brian Pellegrino, United Parcel Service, Inc.
16. Duncan Richardson , Eaton Vance Corp.
17. Andrew Haddock, Lake City Bank
18. Gary Kain, American Capital, Ltd.
19. Philip Sanders, Waddell & Reed Financial, Inc.
20. Richard Harris, Cummins Inc.
21. A. William Stein , Digital Realty Trust
22. John Simms, Piedmont Trust Company
23. John Calamos, Calamos Asset Management, Inc.
24. Matthew Lentz, Simon Property Group, Inc.
25. Bryan Dunnivant, Eli Lilly and Company
26. Carsten Quitter , Allianz North America
27. Brain Oakes, Avis Budget Group, Inc.
28. Brian Rogers, T Rowe Price Group Inc
29. Eric Kirsch, Aflac Incorporated
30. Harsh Bausal, Honeywell International Inc.
31. Judy Mares, Alliant Techsystems Inc.
32. Ranking Update
33. Richard Forde, CIGNA
34. Howard Ward, GAMCO Investors, Inc.
35. Roger Gorham, Alleghany Corporation
36. Edward Antoian, Urban Outfitters Inc
37. John Meder, Texas Capital Bancshares, Inc.
38. Steven Rodgers, Bank of Hawaii Corporation
39. James Groch, CBRE Group, Inc.
40. Bill Cody, Progressive Corporation
41. Brent Burgess, Triangle Capital Corporation
42. Byron Boston, Dynex Capital, Inc.
43. Judith Greffin, Allstate Corporation
44. Jeffrey Ptak, Morningstar, Inc.
45. Dean Junkans, Wells Fargo Company
46. Aaron Diefenthaler, Rli Corp
47. Burt White, LPL Financial
48. W. Michael Pressley, Torchmark Corporation
49. Christopher Pagano, Assurant Asset Management
50. Ned Gerstman, The Chubb Corporation
51. Robert Witkoff, The Chubb Corporation
52. John Dionne, Blackstone Group
53. Jesse Crews, Trinity Industries Inc
54. Jesse Crews, Trinity Industries, Inc.
55. Christopher Graves, Mercury General Corporation
56. Clark Lauritzen, First National of Nebraska, Inc.
57. Robert Lutts, Cabot Corporation
58. Tomas Arlia, General Electric Company
59. Jon Reynolds, Fifth Third Bancorp
60. William Heyman, The Travelers Companies, Inc.
61. Mark Bratt, DDR Corp.
62. John Sturiale, The Charles Schwab Corporation
63. K.C. Matthews, UMB Financial Corporation
64. Craig Delany , JPMorgan Chase & Co.
65. Rick Lacaille, State Street Corporation
66. Josh Radel, Bar Harbor Bankshares
67. Carol McFate, Xerox Corp
68. Paul Cavazos, DTE Energy
69. Don Nesbitt, The Ziegler Companies, Inc.
70. Kris Blackmon, Auburn National Bancorporation, Inc.
71. David Smith , Independent Bank Corp.
72. Rand Westlund, QCR Holdings, Inc.
73. Kristopher Konrad, Annaly Capital Management, Inc.
74. Rose-Marie Lyght, Annaly Capital Management, Inc.
75. Katherine Nixon, Northern Trust Corporation
76. Fred Matera, Redwood Trust, Inc.
77. Christopher Childs, Webster Financial Corporation
78. Lu Ann Katz, Invesco
79. Ernest Dawal, SunTrust Banks, Inc.
80. E. Robert Fernholz, Janus Capital Group
81. James Hunt, THL Credit
82. Julia Lawler, Principal Financial Group, Inc.
83. Tim Dunbar, Principal Financial Group
84. Brendan Gau, AMERISAFE, Inc.
85. Chris Jones, Financial Engines, Inc.
86. Jeffrey Weichsel, Flushing Financial Corporation
87. Carl Thigpen , Protective Life Corporation
88. Martin Hollenbeck, Cincinnati Financial Corporation
89. Tom Gayner, Markel Corporation
90. Paul Gallagher, HCP, Inc.
91. Kathryn McAuley, Weyerhaeuser
92. Leo Grohowski, Bank Of New York Mellon Corp
93. William Roth, Two Harbors Investment Corp.
94. George Calvert, Middleburg Financial Corporation
95. Richard Scott, Loews Corporation
96. Michael Hagen, Liberty Property Trust
97. Patricia Scheuer, National Western Life Insurance
98. Donald Nicholson, Northwest Bancshares, Inc.
99. John Smith, Home Properties, Inc.
100. Bernard Francis, Susquehanna Bancshares, Inc.
101. Susan Sweeney, Selective Insurance Group
102. Stephen Dominiak, BRE Properties, Inc.
103. John Miller, W. P. Carey & Co. LLC
104. Michael Hartnett, Campus Crest Communities, Inc.
105. Steven Goulart, MetLife, Inc.
106. Charlie Happel, FBL Financial Group, Inc.
107. Peter Schmidt-Fellner, NewStar Financial, Inc.
108. John Cobb, Ventas, Inc.
109. Richard Cookson, Citigroup Inc.
110. George Schmidt, Glimcher Realty Trust
111. Alan George, Equity Residential
112. Michael Collins, Prudential Financial, Inc.
113. Michael Mauboussin, Legg Mason, Inc.
114. George Stelljes, Gladstone Commercial Corporation
115. Mark Abrams, Presidential Life Corporation
116. Ellen Cooper, Lincoln National Corp
117. Dan Sheehan, Genworth Financial, Inc.
118. Breege Farrell, Unum Group
119. John Apruzzese, Evercore Partners Inc.
120. Walter Muller, Bank of America Corporation
121. Brion Johnson, The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc.
122. Stefan Keitel, Credit Suisse Group
123. Joel Braun, Acadia Realty Trust
124. Ronald Barin, Alcoa Inc.
125. Michael Curless, Prologis, Inc.